Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Unwanted Excitement

Well, I just keep thanking Heavenly Father that we're alright. Monday night Brian and I left shortly after he got home from work to see a rocking chair a friend of ours was selling and then do some grocery shopping down in Johnson City (20 minutes away). Well, when we returned a little after nine I walked through our dining room and saw a dark spot on the ceiling and thought, "that's odd...I don't think that was there before..." So we put the groceries away and I asked Brian to take a look. The hole looked like a bullet hole, but seriously, who would shoot a gun in an apartment? Perhaps it was something else. We thought it strange, but went ahead and gave Adam a bath. During the bath, Brian called the on-call security officer. My uneasiness kept growing. The officer asked if we would be alright until morning, which NO! That's why we called in the first place. We didn't feel safe there and so grabbed a few things and left the apartment. Brian had noticed the door of the apartment above us was open and the lights were off. All clues led to unexplained weirdness. We called our good friends Leah and Evan and they let us crash at their house. We heard back from the office who said the guy above us was moving out and "dropped something" that went through the floor. Yeah, like a bullet? Maybe an arrow from a triggered cross-bow...but not "dropped."

Well, yesterday we were finally able to go and talk face-to-face with our manager. We were told the full story. The guy upstairs (we call him mustang man, he drives a mustang convertible and leaves the top down during a rain storm and doesn't bother to put it up when people take time to go to his apartment and let him know it's pouring rain into his car), "accidentally discharged a small caliber weapon" in his apartment (that's what he told the manager). He thought it just lodged in his floor. He said he was taking the clip out and had his finger on the trigger when it "just went off." Well, they came in a checked it out with the police and well, "small caliber weapon" just isn't what it was. The guy discharged a 9mm handgun which sent the bullet through his floor, our ceiling, our floor, the ceiling below us and lodged in the concrete under the flooring of the apartment below. Ahh! Terrifying-yes. The guy thought we were out of town on vacation or something, I guess we're super quiet neighbors for him not to notice us.

The good news is that we're safe, we weren't home when it happened. We left about 10 minutes before the gun went off. I'm glad it was just an accident because I was thinking this guy had shot his girlfriend or her dog that yelps and whines. He's not a very nice person from our experience. I hope he finds some happiness someday. But we feel much better that he has moved out and won't be returning. No more smoke! No more loud music that makes our windows shake! Yay! In serious reflection, I have suggestion. Having grown up with guns, I was taught how to handle them and the rules of guns and I also took a hunter's safety class. I think that before anyone is allowed to buy a gun, they should be required to take a gun safety class and present a certificate of completion before they can purchase a gun. I think it would help prevent things like this. Who puts their finger on the trigger when they're removing the clip?! Gun safety and common sense people...I hope he learned his lesson. I thought about what if the bullet had hit Adam or Brian or I because we're always walking through the dining room into the kitchen. I'm just glad no one was hurt, in our apartment or the one below us.

On a light note: Adam's getting bigger and his hair is starting to grow! Craig, we tried to get a picture of Adam eating his fist, but this is as close as he would let us get. I know he's excited to meet you! He's getting big and he's so much fun to play with!This is Adam after a bath. He just looks so adorable in his hooded towel! I just had to share!

5 comments:

Angie said...

That's crazy scary! I'm glad you're all okay and that the crazy man moved out. Just one more reason to move into a house, huh? Adam is looking so big and I think he's looking more and more like you Kathy. He looked so much like Brian before but not anymore. He's still a cute mixture though. I love him in his hooded towel. I always love how sweet my babies look in their hooded towels. Thanks for the pictures and the update!

Unknown said...

Scary scary. That is a blessing you were not home!

Tabitha said...

Wow--crazy story! By the way, your little baby is so darling! I hope you're doing well :)

Heather said...

Hi this is Leah's friend in Utah. I am glad every one was okay. That is scarey! :{ By the way, I think Adam is adorable.

Heather Bay said...

Oh. My. Goodness. I am so glad you're safe!!!!!!!! I expect this kind of thing here in Vegas, but holy cow...