Tuesday, November 30, 2010

A Great Woman

Today was a rough day. Michael was up a few times last night, thus so was I. The boys were into mischief most of the day. And I found out that my aunt passed away this morning. It came as a complete shock to everyone. I'm torn in how to feel: part of me feels so happy for her--she's a good woman and led a righteous life; she knew how to get where she'll be going and did everything she needed to do. Yet I feel such grief and sadness for her sweet husband, her loving siblings and her wonderful children and grandchildren.

Talking to my mom tonight, it was fun to wonder whom might have been there to greet Aunt Vallace. Perhaps it was Great-Grandpa Orval. He's had such a powerful hand in this family, on both sides of the veil. I look at our family line and I know there are some not-so-great things, like all families have, but there are truly wonderful people--good people--running rampant in our line. I believe it was Orval that ran off with his sweet young bride, causing his father to chase after him in his wagon, but was too late. And yet, a good man, a good family, a testimony of the Gospel. It's a good family.

I am sad that Aunt Vallace has passed, but excited that I'll be with my family again, if only for a short while. I wish that my family (extended) got together for more than just weddings and funerals. I know it's hard now that most of us are spread throughout the country. I'm sure it will be hard, under the circumstances, but I'm happy I'll get to see my cousins and aunts and uncles.

2 comments:

Karen said...

So sorry for your loss. Sounds like a great example.

Wendy said...

Kathy, I'm sorry to hear about your aunt. I hope your family is doing alright! I was wondering if I could get your address for a Christmas card. I'd love to send one to you guys. Just send it to my email at wendywthomas@gmail.com. Thanks Kathy!