Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Aunt Kate's Visit


One of my good friends came out to Tennessee last month and the boys and I took a trip out to Knoxville to see her. We had a blast! I hadn't seen Kate since before Adam was born (WAY too long). We had a ton of fun! So much fun I think it made Brian jealous. We went to the AMSE (American Museum of Science and Energy) in Oak Ridge (one of the labs for the Manhattan project is the best way we can describe it). Adam loved it! Here's some pictures of our adventure there:

Adam trying to solve a brain buster of how to balance 15 nails on the head of one nail.

Oh the joys of air!

Adam thought this was pretty cool...Mom did too.

Adam thought this was cool too until he felt a little shock...and another...and another. He looked at me and said, "hurts?"

And Adam loved turning the wheel to move the "oil rig" to find the oil. He got a little carried away...

We also went and visited the Museum of Appalachia. It was really neat to see some of the history of East Tennessee. Adam really liked seeing all of the animals. There were sheep and chickens and peacocks (and peahens and chicks too). They had some beautiful quilts there as well, sorry I forgot to take pictures of those. They had some really neat instruments there are well (different types of guitars, banjos, ukuleles, etc.) and they had war memorabilia. It was neat for me to see some farm equipment and things. They also had a beautiful garden.
I had never seen peachicks before...this little peahen had 5 and there is a peacock in the background (who was very territorial and wouldn't let the poor lady pass...)

These were some beautiful flowers in bloom while we were there. I think some relative of the hibiscus.

This is the peacock that walked right up to Adam and Michael and I. It walked around us and eventually walked away. It's feathers were just beautiful...even if the birds do seem haughty.

Aunt Kate showing Adam the mail box...the writing inside probably says something along the lines of "do not place any items in the mailbox" along with the history of writing letters back in the day...which led Adam to do this:

We had a lot of fun. Thanks Aunt Kate!! You have to come and visit again!! And I think that the boys and I will have to take Brian to the AMSE so he drool over all the cool exhibits and fun scientific hands-on activities. Maybe Mr. Bond will be there to give another demonstration. :)

No comments: