Monday, June 28, 2010

A Lesson on Salt

I've learned a lesson about salt. Now that I've had to actually think about it, most food has salt in it--almost every recipe calls for salt. Hopefully, I will always remember that...and if the recipe doesn't call for salt, double check. I'd like to share that lesson with you.

This weekend I made bread, a normal occurrence here in our house. We have a new wheat grinder and so I've tried a few recipes. I found one that we like and so that is the one I used on Saturday. It wasn't until I pulled the loaves out of the oven that I realized, "I forgot the salt!" One Tablespoon of salt...in a recipe for three loaves of bread. It couldn't be that bad, right?

WRONG! The bread is edible...with lots of jam, honey, sandwich toppings, or as French toast, but it doesn't taste good on it's own. And it's lumpy. Now we have two and half loaves of "good-for-nothing" (except French toast) wheat bread. Thus, we will be having French toast with the missionaries tomorrow night. And I can't give it away either, that wouldn't be nice. Since this experience the following scripture has taken on a more meaningful lesson:

Matthew 5:13 (from Jesus's Sermon on the Mount)

Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under the foot of men.

I thought about just throwing out the bread...to be "trodden under the foot of men," but it is two whole loaves! Thinking about this scripture, and relating it to food, salt adds so much to food! Just as the Gospel of Christ adds so much to our lives. Thinking about my life, if you took away the Gospel of Christ, my life would be "good for nothing." Life wouldn't have meaning.

The Gospel gives us a knowledge of our purpose here on this earth. I know who I am, why I am here, and from where I came. Do you?

I am a woman. As such I am blessed with qualities that bless my family. Men and women are supposed to be different--we compliment each other. Women are to be mothers, that is why all women have an innate "nature to nurture." We take care of people. I am happy to be a woman and to know my divine role in this mortal life and for eternity. I know Christ lives and that His true Gospel has been restored to the earth.

So, the next time you eat bread, savour the flavor. It just doesn't taste the same without salt.

Do you have the salt in your recipe of life?

No comments: